Andrew Coulson, Obama, and School Vouchers

I haven’t been one to use this blog to comment on others, but this posting just irked me. Andrew Coulson with the Cato Institute writes in his most recent post:

Senator Obama sends his own two daughters to the private “Lab School” founded by John Dewey in 1896, which charged $20,000 in tuition at the middle school level last year. Though he says “we” should not be “throwing up our hands and walking away” from public schools, he has done precisely that.

That is his right, and, as a wealthy man, it is his prerogative under the current system of American education, which allows only the wealthy to easily choose between private and government schools. But instead of offering to extend that same choice to all families, Senator Obama wants the poor to wait for the public school system to be “fixed.”

As an advocate of public education, liberty, the environment, etc., I do what I can to uphold my beliefs. But there are a few instances where I draw the line. Being a father is one.

At the moment, my daughter attends a public school. Someday she may not. In fact, it’s a tough choice for me. Her progress (which is completely subjective on my part) will dictate whether or not she remains in public education. This is my prerogative as a parent and has nothing to do with my everyday work improving public schools.

I know of several public school educators that send their children to private schools. Do they believe the public school system needs to be “fixed”? When it comes to being a parent, you do what you feel is best for your children.

Obama is a parent and public figure. As a parent, he should do all he can to insure the best education for his daughters. It makes me wonder if Mr. Coulson has any children. Perhaps he should editorialize about this.